Search This Blog

Friday 27 May 2011

Wake up and start rocking!

Good afternoon dear readers, this week you happen upon me in a sorry state. I have a sore throat which means I am of no use to anyone. This is also my excuse as to the lateness of this week's post, sorry. You might think that this week I would be posting a review of the fine medications available to individuals with sore throats, but you would be wrong. This week I'm going to post my top five songs to energise me in the morning and get me ready for the day to come.

Music is of great importance to me in my life, I have decided that writing about it and its effects is how I'd like to spend my time, ergo, I'm sure you understand that I listen to music most of the time. I rarely drive or walk anywhere without some music to listen to. It is ever present when I run and I sometimes listen to music whilst cycling (although not on the roads as I'd like to stay alive).

Within minutes of waking up in the morning I, like millions of others, listen to music. So here we are with today's list of MY TOP 5 SONGS TO ENERGISE ME IN THE MORNING!

Mass Nerder5. Descendents - Mass Nerder

From their 2004 album Cool to be You, a punk song about being good at school and getting good grades! A great album.  After not releasing an album for years the Descendents released this album and nothing had changed, in a good way. The band still had that trademark sound and the critics agreed. This was the band's first album on Fat Wreck Chords, due to them being one of Fat Mike's favourite bands. I started listening to them after hearing references to them and their songs in NOFX songs. I'm glad I did, Cool to be You is a great album.

4. Black Sabbath - The Wizard

In 1970 an album was released which is often credited as developing a genre! That album was Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath! Upon its release the album was panned by critics who failed to see the world's first true heavy metal album for what it was... a monumental achievement which would shape much of the music to come for decades. Now the album is seen for what it is: ground breaking and the critics who dismissed it as "like Cream! But worse" look like utter idiots who aren't fit to even listen to the music of Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward! Like with much of the music I talk about today I struggled to decide on which track to include in the list as I often listen to an album as a whole, not just selecting tracks.

This has always been one of my favourite Sabbath songs so that is why I picked this song to include here from an album of giant songs, BEST ALBUM EVER!

3. The Smashing Pumpkins - Freak

I have been a Pumpkins fan since the '90s, I've seen them live (back in the day with the old line-up) and I bloody love them and would like to thank them for all the musical enjoyment they have given me over the years. They provided the soundtrack to my college years! This song is from their current album Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. The album is free to download from www.smashingpumpkins.com.

Back to heavily distorted guitar sounds and Billy's distinctive voice, a catchy chorus and overdubbed vocals makes it totally Pumpkins. The only thing missing is a balls out guitar solo which would make it classic Pumpkins! Awesome song, from an awesome song and to make it even better it is all gifted to you for free!!! You couldn't ask for more. I am now currently listening to Try, Try, Try (Alternate) from Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music, which was also free.

2. Frank Zappa - I'm the Slime

Overnite SensationI have three versions of this song: the first is from the epic 1973 album, Over-Nite Sensation, the second is the brilliant live version on The Eyes of Osaka, and the last is another live version on the fantastic album You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 (disk 1). The vocal styles in each version are different, as are the guitar solos. A great social commentary about the filth, lies and negativity that the mass media pumps into our homes via our TV sets. It took me a long time to choose to include this song as Frank Zappa has released so much great music. I've got most of his albums on CD, or mp3 where no CD is available. I might write a piece about how great his music is and how influential his music has been in shaping modern music in the latter part of the 20th Century. If you've never listened to Frank Zappa then I suggest you go and listen to some as soon as you finish reading this blog.   

1. Less Than Jake - The Science Of Selling Yourself Short

Bloody great song from the brilliant album, Anthem. I could have easily have filled this Top 5 list with songs from this album, utter brilliance. The Science Of Selling Yourself Short is somewhat more chilled out than much of Less Than Jake's earlier work, but rocking all the same. In my opinion one of the finest ska-punk songs of all time, this song is also number one in my list of all time great songs.

I used to listen to this song an awful lot whilst I was doing my Masters degree - on my walk or cycle into University I would listen to this song at least once a week. It holds a special place in my heart. I think I'll end with the chorus of the song:

I'll sing along,
Yeah with every emergency,
Just sing along,
I'm the king of catastrophes,
I'm so far gone,
That deep down inside I think it's fine by me,
I'm my own worst enemy.


So there we go, my top five songs to energise me in the morning at the moment, this might all change next week but for now this is THE LIST!


Quote of the Week:
"Those chillies will make you wish you didn't have an arse!"

No comments:

Post a Comment